Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:33:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jonathan Disher <jdisher@parad.net>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 for Sparc?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Oliver Blasnik wrote:

> Jonathan wrote:
>
> > Ultra 2.
> >
> > From a cursory inspection (i.e. drop CD in drive, boot cdrom, and try to
> > start sysinstall), fas (the SCSI controller internally) isn't supported.
>
> Very interesting this is...
>
> Isn't that chip an ordinary NEC 53c94 at SBus? Supported from OpenBSD with
> the esp(4) driver? If there is any HowTo on porting OpenBSD to FreeBSD
> SCSI drivers, I can take a look at it. But - I don't have an U1/U2 for
> testing this out. Any other Hardware where this controller is used?
>
> Jonathan, could you try to boot from an OpenBSD image and take a look
> at the probes/dmsg? This would help a lot.

Sure, but I'd need a bit of instruction (see, I'm -really- new to BSD, as
I've just started working at a FreeBSD shop, coming from a Linux/Solaris
shop, and a Linux/Solaris/NT background).  If you can tell me what you
want me to do, I can do it.

Err, wait.

Whoops.

A few minutes ago I dd'd the OpenBSD 3.2 miniroot to the swap disk on my
Ultra 2.  Then, thinking I'd done it wrong, I tried to clear the swap and
rebooted.  Hey, look, it booted OpenBSD!...

Oliver, I'll email you the output privately (or should I send it to the
list?)

-j