Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2013 19:31:18 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        toolchain@FreeBSD.org, Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
Subject:   Re: c89 broken on head?

On 7 Mar 2013, at 19:28, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> Also, I seem to remember a discussion about making -std=3Dgnu89 the =
default
>> for clang when run as "cc", but nothing seems to have changed. Could =
this
>> be picked up again, because there are in fact subtle semantic =
differences
>> between gnu89 inline and c99 inline that old code may rely on.

cc was deprecated in POSIX1997.  I would be more in favour of removing =
it entirely than of making it default to anything other than C11.

I do have a patch for clang that makes it select a more sensible default =
dialect when invoked as gcc, c89, c99, or c11.  I'll try to push this =
upstream soon.

David