Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:00:13 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@osx.kode5.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS
References:  <CAN6yY1vFadjHcrmRirYe-R0TgO6dbA1MWqU6MrDF5b8bNP1FzQ@mail.gmail.com> <1347145713.16545.YahooMailClassic@web111312.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> <CAN6yY1tTdhpDx9QARmaiQ58buB0mJADDqWdF7QCenL6OHQEAFQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ2Kz1AFQny43ZDnUk=WywHKM7o5TBsD7qaAowB3jWWNSzu3pA@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1uNPr36bCaR1y6u15UJFzhxhzWsmBfdgBEcP2b1FqLoCg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ2Kz1CjyBCdziw7vHtbzFyeJK0h7Pvb6VQhvWnRB2Nc5geJRQ@mail.gmail.com>

Hi,

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 19:54:06 +0300
Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Alexandr Kovalenko
> > <never@nevermind.kiev.ua> wrote:
> >>
> >> What if neither is close to me (there are other countries in the
> >> world, not only USA, some are even on the other side of the planet,
> >> btw, did you know?) ?
> >
> > Yes, I am quite aware of it, but I am merely the messenger. Until
> > other subversion mirrors are made available in other parts of the
> > world, only the two in the US are available. I'm sure that will
> > change in time, but for the moment, only the two US mirrors have
> > been announced.
> >
> > For now, if it is not clear which is closer, you can ping to see
> > which has the faster response. In my case, us-west is about 20 ms
> > away while us-east is 100. If you have a well connected server in
> > another part of the world, I assume the project would be happy to
> > have another mirror made available. Note that the full repository
> > is quite large. There are clearly security issues, too.
>
> JFYI, I'm already running ftp/cvsup.ua.freebsd.org (primary Ukrainian
> mirror) for about 8 years.
>
> But the recent changes to policies, which were discussed behind the
> closed doors by some group of people in The FreeBSD Project,
> effectively makes all efforts, money and so on, which were invested to
> support project, unnecessary. Current (semi-official) statements say
> that project is going to abandon practice of non-project managed
> mirrors and will do everything on it's own.
>
> As for now my mirror serves full CVS[up] repo from SSD, and have full
> FTP archive avaliable, which is synced every hour.
>
> You may have read the situation with Australian SVN mirror - when
> project officials officially prohibited guys, who set it up to use
> *.freebsd.org name for that.

this all sounds like a inside job to kill FreeBSD.

I just wrote the other message saying that it seems to me that the huge
user base outside the USA is ignored.

What will happen to the project when all non-US servers cannot be used
anymore?

Erich