Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:20:23 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
Cc:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, tcobb@staff.circle.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On freezes in 3.2-Stable

"Jason J. Horton" wrote:

> Kiril Mitev wrote:
> > IIRC, cdrom.com runs a 'custom' kernel, and that's putting it mildly
>
> Now I am curious as to why these special mods are not available
> in -CURRENT or -STABLE....

	The last post I saw from DG on this topic he said that 90% (more?) of the
stuff he has done for wcarchive is in 3.2-Stable now. The rest is of
extremely limited interest, would be harder to document than it was to
write, and would result in hordes of questions from foolish people who shot
themselves in the foot with it even after being told not to use it if they
don't understand it.

	The above is my paraphrase of my current understanding of the situation,
so don't hold DG accountable for it. :) This next is purely my commentary
on the question itself. The guy makes his living (or part of it anyway)
designing high performance systems for people. I don't blame him one little
bit if he wants to "hold back" some of what gives him an edge in *highly*
competetive field. He's certainly done a WHOLE LOT for the project, much of
which the average user never sees, and even more than I am aware of I'm
sure. In short, give the guy a break. :)

Doug