Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:12:42 -0700
From:      zenxyzzy <zenxyzzy@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what's the status on getting the fan control on a excalibur?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM, zenxyzzy <zenxyzzy@gmail.com> wrote:

> aka Blade 1000/2000/280R/Netra20. getting very inexpenvie these days. $400
> bucks can get you
> a very fat SB1000. you can get fiberchannel 73 GB 15k rpm drives for about
> $20, and the system themselves run $200.
>
>  BUT. the broken/nonexistent fan support makes for a very noisy
> workstation. Busted on linux, too, Illumos don't SPARC, so pretty much the
> only reason to continue running solaris.
>
> ALSO, has anybody ever run 16 GB in these? it's rumored to work. I've only
> got 4GB - this upgrade is still pricey.
>
> I'm working on getting accelerated XVR-1000 and XVR-600 Xorg and kernel
> drivers going.
> don't hold your breath - decompiling solaris is slow going.
>
> --curt
>

> regarding decompilation - has there ever been a court case applying fair
use to orphan hard/software? it seems to me, a non-legal type, that once
you abandon a hunk of hardware or software, your proprietary (trade secret
and copyright) rights are pretty much out of the window.  specifically, if
you abandon it, decompilation can't cause damages.

thanks to mickey mouse's lawyers, copyright infringement is criminal.
ramble ramble.