Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:31:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Searching for users of netncp and nwfs to help debug 5.0 problems

Robert Watson wrote:
> It sounds like there are a couple of problems here
> -- that we need a debugging guide (How to prepare a useful bug
>    report for a kernel panic, How to prepare a useful bug report
>    for a sysinstall failure, etc)

A "bug-filing wizard" would be useful.  The "send-pr" system
doesn't cut it, and most people are unaware of how to file a
decent bug report.  It doesn't help when the process involves
another computer, a serial cable, recompiling a kernel to use
a serial console and turn DDB support on, special configuration
for system dump images, and changing the size of your swap
partition to support the amount of RAM you have put into the
machine.

The bug-filing process has to be self-contained, and would be
best served by a literal transcription of the message that comes
up as a result of the problem.

The number one thing that can be done, though, is completely and
totally within FreeBSD's control: unique error reports for wach
possible error.  This is more or less a design issue.

> -- that
> we need a better way to find developers on a particular topic who are
> willing to pick up more debugging burden.

Most developers do not like to clean up after the messes they
make; this isn't unique to FreeBSD, but FreeBSD does seem to
have a larger number of prima donnas than other projects.  There
has also been a lot of "kingdom-building"; John Dyson, who I
still greatly admire, used to squat on six or seven distinct areas
of the kernel, but only had time to work on one or two of them,
even when Oracle was paying him to work on FreeBSD full time for
their "Network Computer" product.  There were warm bodies willing
to work on several of the areas he felt he "owned".  Simultaneous
progress was possible in all of these areas at the same time...
IFF the people had been allowed to work on the code, rather than
being told "No, I know the answer there, and I will fix it soon".

The time of "soon" never came, and the effort proceeded serially,
and less progress was made.  Respectfully, I submit that the same
thing happens on a daily basis, and that John Dyson was not the
only one who was trying to juggle too many balls at the same time,
though I will not name names: you all know who you are, and most
of us in "the peanut gallery" know, too.

> I would have guessed that, in general, problems with finding a
> responsible party developer would lie more in the areas of the
> system that don't have an active maintainer (vis "owner"), which
> is a harder problem to address.  If that's not a correct impression,
> then it's something that's probably easier to fix :-).

I think, in general, that FreeBSD attracts just as many developers
as Linux, or any other project, but fails to "let them in".

One approach might be to decide rough "ownership" of areas of the
system: if people are going to act like they own the areas, then
make them explicitly responsible.  Do this at a sufficiently high
granularity, and you'll see that certain individuals "own" perhaps
dozens of areas.

Then add a field to the PR: "area owner".  Go through each of the
PR's, and add this field.

Don't let an owner do any additional work until they've closed that
PR, one way or another, to the satisfaction of the submitter (this is
to ensure that "screw you" is not a satisfactory resolution).  Put a
time limit on it.

If the PR contains a patch, and the owner does nothing in the
allotted time, then give the PR submitter a commit bit, and give
ownership of the area over to them.

At the very least, PR's will be closed, and more people actively
writing code will end up with commit bits.

-- Terry