Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:05:54 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Kurt Seel <kseel@utcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pioneer DRM-600 problem

[ CCing the -scsi list, so this gets in the archive to (potentially) help
other folks, hope you don't mind ]

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:40:31 -0400, Kurt Seel wrote:
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> > To switch from one CD to another, with one of these devices, you typically
> > have to try to do I/O to one CD or another.
> >
> > Is that the way it works with this changer?  Or is there some manual method
> > you have to go through to change things around?
> >
> > >  And :
> > > mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /conf/tmpmnt
> > >  Gives me :
> > > cd9660: /dev/cd0c: Device busy
> >
> > Is there anything printed in the dmesg when you try that?  If not, boot
> > with -v and see if you get more verbose error messages.
>
>  I did this. I made a mistake in my original post, let me explain.
> It gives me 'cd9660: /dev/cd0c: Device busy' the second time I try
> to mount, after having broken out ^C the first time (it was late at
> night ... sorry). The first time it does nothing, forever. I let it
> sit 45 minutes while I had dinner.
>  I booted -v, same results : does nothing, prints nothing. I have
> my case open and I don't even see the SCSI controller blink (an
> adaptec 2940, bios 1.23 BTW). No lights on the drive either

It is very strange that it is sitting there for 45 minutes without doing
anything.  At the very least you should see a command timeout, since the
longest timeout of anything in the open() path in the cd driver is 60
seconds.

So, let's see if we can figure out what's going on with the changer.
Recompile your kernel with the CAMDEBUG option.

Then, before you try mounting a CD in any of the slots in the changer, do
this:

camcontrol debug -Ic 0:0:0

That should print out every SCSI CDB that goes to that particular LUN on
the changer.  Hopefully we can figure out which command is hanging.

> > >  I have tried it with evey permutation of option switches,
> > > e.g. parity on, parity off ... no dice.
> > >  Is there any hope for this unit? I'de really like to put
> > > 6 CD's of mp3'ed music on a (atapi) cdrom booted (if you
> > > look at the dmesg you'll see root is cd9660:acd0c - could
> > > this be causing the problem?) network music server.
> >
> > Sure, it should work.  My guess is that you probably just need to tweak the
> > timeouts some.  There are two sysctl variables:
> >
> > kern.cam.cd.changer.min_busy_seconds
> > and
> > kern.cam.cd.changer.max_busy_seconds
>
>  I set these to 7 (I read this in the documentation I got from
> the pioneer web site somewhere) and 20 respectively. Still the
> same. Shoulds I maybe turn them down?

No, if anything you should crank them higher.  Typically these only come
into play, though, when you are switching from one LUN to another.  Since
your problem is coming when you try to access the first LUN, there is
probably something else going on.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry