Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:37:26 -0600
From:      Brad Waite <freebsd@wcubed.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.10-STABLE boot issues

Sorry for the late reply... Work called and I'm just now getting back to
*real* important things like my new FreeBSD box.

I'd normally trim the quotes, but I'll keep 'em for the context.

Doug White wrote:

>>>From what you got later, it looks like just /boot/loader got corrupted
>>>somehow.  Go into src/sys/boot/i386 in your 4.10-STABLE tree and do 'make
>>>depend && make && make install' as root. That should rebuild & reinstall
>>>loader.
>>
>>It's possible but unlikely that loader is corrupted.  I had the same
>>problem a few months ago under 4.9.  Plus, I already made world, so that
>>should have built a fresh version, but it's doing the same thing as the
>>stock 4.10 install.

>>>Make sure you remove this when you get loader rebuilt.
>>
>>Any critical reason for doing this, other than giving me the options found
>>in loader?
>

> loader arranges for the kernel symbols to be relocated properly, so ps and
> friends work again. :-)  Otherwise you will get 'no namelist' errors.

Hmmm.  I don't recall getting those errors when I booted directly to
/kernel.

>>>Is /boot on /? :-)
>>
>>Yep.  That's what I can't figure out.  Is boot2 doing something different
>>on a non-root directory because I'm on a RAID controller instead of a
>>regular ad or da device?
>>
>>Oh, I just realized that it can't be a corrupt loader - when I moved it to
>>/ it woke up fine.
>

> Are you __sure__ /boot is on /dev/da0s1a?  You might try booting into
> fixit mode from the CDs and running a fsck. I wonder if the directory is
> corrupted.
>
> It obviously works for the rest of the world, and it doesn't look like a
> BIOS access problem since it can read the file fine if its on /.

Well /boot is *not* on /dev/da0s1a.  It's on /dev/amrd0s1a, but boot2
doesn't know how to get at the amr device.  At least not as far as I've
tested.  I'm leery of messing around in
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2/boot2.c, but if someone wants to give me
some pointers, I'll try it.

There's always the recovery CD...