Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:19:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, tylei@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: ftpd is not up

> From: "Jerry Lei" <tylei@hotmail.com>
>
> I try to setup a ftp server on my FreeBSD. I can ping through this
> FreeBSD, but I can't ftp. The ftp client will stalk until timeout when
> try to make a ftp connection. the ftp client and ftp server in the
> same ip broadcast domain. I do setup the firewall, but it is totally
> open.
>
> I use inetd to call up ftpd. It is suppose to that someone ftp to my
> ftp server, inetd will bring up ftpd automatically. But using "ps
> waux" to check my process, I can't find ftpd up.

Of course, you didn't forget to send a HUP signal to inetd after you
changed it's inetd.conf file:

	# killall -hup inetd

> I try call up ftpd directly by setting up echo " ftpd" && ftpd -D
> in /etc/rc.local. it's the same situation. Can anyone give me some
> suggestion?  Thank you.

You should be able to verify if an ftpd daemon is running and listening
for clients, by looking at the output of netstat:

	% netstat -naf inet
	Active Internet connections (including servers)
	Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
	tcp4       0      0  *.25                   *.*                    LISTEN
	tcp4       0      0  *.21                   *.*                    LISTEN

The second LISTEN line, the one listening on local port 21, is the ftpd
daemon (or inetd if you use inetd to launch ftp servers) listening for
incoming connections.

Ciao,
Giorgos.