Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:56:17 -0800
From:      Ian Zimmerman <possessor.assizer305@aceecat.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source IP selection

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 05:12:34PM -0500, John Levine wrote:
> It appears that Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> said:
> >> My VPS provider (Linode) gave me a secondary address so my two nodes
> >> can talk to each other without accruing charges. Note that:
> >>
> >> - it really is an alias on the same interface, *not* a VLAN
> >>
> >> - it is not a publicly routable address (192.168.)
>
> While the advice about setting addresses in unbound was good, my
> advice would be "don't do that." Depending on IPs on the same
> interface to be routed differently will just cause endless pain.
>
> Linode says you can set up a VLAN for free.  Why not do that,
> and put the shortcut on a separate interface?  Then everything
> should work without any funny configuration.

That was exactly my first reaction too.  Then I read a little
bit further, learning that VLAN is not (yet?) available in
Fremont, where I'm hosted.

Thanks for the replies, everyone, I have a picture now.

(Btw Linode gets away with this because on Linux, which is
the only kernel they officially support, routes have an
associated source address - so no endless pain LOL.)

--
Ian