Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:44:59 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail + news

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:43:44AM -0800, Brian Sobolak wrote:
> hi
>
> Monday, January 14, 2002, 10:01:21 PM, you wrote:
>

> B> hi, just wonder if u can help me with the following...
>

> B> i posted in the pine group and got a reply saying that i should
> B> look into things like fetchmail + leafnode.

Install leafnode.
Be aware the first time you run fetchnews it will hike your phone
bill up since it will download details of all the newsgroups from
your up-stream news provider. This only has to be done once though.

From then on when it is run it will download new messages for
the subscribed to news groups (though again the first time you
subscribe to a new nesgroup it will take a while as it downloads
the number of headers you specifcy in the fetchnews configuration).

There are a few other ins-and outs, but that should get you going.

Leafnode, as it's author freely admits, is not state of the art
news software ! But for home users/soho users with a small number
of susbscribed groups it is fine.

As for news readers, in console mode I recommend "slrn", for X
"knode" is pretty good, but a bit opaque at times.

--
Regards
Cliff