Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2012 23:46:51 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> There's one pointer for the ivars.  The bus code gets to determine what=
 the ivar looks like, because the interface is totally private to the bus. =
 So long as it returns the right thing for any key that's presented, it doe=
sn't matter quite how things are done.

>>> So I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
>>>
>> dev0 implements two interfaces: A and B. dev1, child of dev0, needs to
>> use both interfaces. There is no generic way for dev0 to export
>> independent ivars for both interface. For now, I restricted the
>> function of the second interface not to need ivar, but that's kind of
>> hackish.
>
> Only if the IVARs for interface A and interface B have overlapping values=
.  If the Ivar keys don't overlap, then there's no problems at all.  Certai=
nly less hackish than not using them at all.  Since dev0 knows the layout o=
f the ivar that it set on its child, this presents no problems at all.  It =
would return the values from A from the right part of the ivar, and those f=
rom B in the right part.  Apart from the coordination of Ivar numbers, as I=
 outlined in my last post, there's no issue here.

I think we should not be talking about the same API here. I have no
idea what you mean by "the key to value translation", nor "Ivar
numbers". What I refer to is that device_set_ivars() /
device_get_ivars() acts on a single instance variables from `struct
device': `ivars'. In that case, I do not really see how to set that
specific field to two distinct values for each interfaces.

 - Arnaud

> Warner
>
>> - Arnaud
>>
>>> The problem, more basically, is that the ivar keys are not unique.  Cur=
rently, there's no bits used in the key to define the values to be non-over=
lapping.  For example:
>>> enum pci_device_ivars {
>>>    PCI_IVAR_SUBVENDOR,
>>>    PCI_IVAR_SUBDEVICE,
>>>    PCI_IVAR_VENDOR,
>>> };
>>>
>>> We could easily reserve the upper 16-bits of this field to be that key.=
  This value could then be used to differentiate them.  But this wouldn't s=
cale too well.  Given that there's only about a dozen or two in the tree, t=
hat's right at the moment, it wouldn't be hard to do something like:

>>> enum ivar_namespace {
>>>        IVAR_PCI =3D 1,
>>>        IVAR_PCCARD,
>>>        IVAR_USB,
>>> etc
>>> };
>>> #define IVAR_SHIFT 16
>>>
>>> and the above could be changed to:
>>>
>>> enum pci_device_ivars {
>>>    PCI_IVAR_SUBVENDOR =3D IVAR_PCI << IVAR_SHIFT,
>>>    PCI_IVAR_SUBDEVICE,
>>>    PCI_IVAR_VENDOR,
>>> };
>>>
>>> and then we'd have an unambiguous key, and the bus could easily impleme=
nt multiple interfaces.

>>> but then again, most of the existing interfaces in the kernel are mutua=
lly exclusive, so you could implement this just for your new interfaces.

>>> ivars are but one way to communicate this.  However, they are the gener=
ic way to convert a key to a value and store a key on a value.  I don't rea=
lly understand what you are trying to say here, perhaps an example would he=
lp illustrate what you are trying to do, since I don't quite understand the=
 problem here.

>>> That doesn't make any sense.  The child's parent already sets that chil=
d's ivar when the child is created.  The child's parent already gets a poin=
ter to the child when asked to do the key to value translation.  Again, per=
haps an example would help here.