Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:32:44 -0500
From:      "Thompson, Jimi" <JimiT@mail.cox.smu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   BIND 9 Package Question

Hi,

=20

Background -  All was well until the boss upgraded the glibc on the
RedHat server which made all kinds of things unhappy.  Taking the
opportunity to convert yet another server here to FreeBSD, I built a new
DNS on FreeBSD 4.9. =20

=20

I have noticed a couple of odd things.

=20

Typing in /usr/sbin/named -v, gets me this:

=20

named 8.3.6-REL Mon Oct 27 14:55:35 GMT 2003

        root@freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named

=20

which totally doesn't look right since it should be bind 9 something or
other.  The package was /usr/ports/dns/bind9           =20

which stated in the package description that it would install BIND
version 9.  Either the binary doesn't know what version it is or the
package has something funky in it that's yielding the wrong version
number after compilation.

=20

=20

=20

Thanks,

=20

Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP

Manager, Web Operations

Cox School of Business

Southern Methodist University

=20

"What kind of peace do we seek? Not a 'Pax Americana' enforced on the
world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the
security of a slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace
that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that enables men and
nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for their
children-not merely peace for Americans, but peace for all men and
women; not merely peace in our time, but peace for all time." - John F.
Kennedy

=20

=20

=20