Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 17:51:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: follow-up to kernel compile problem...

>On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, David Greenman wrote:
>
>> >	I just went into /usr/src/usr.sbin/config and compiled the version
>> >that was in there and used it...
>> >
>> >	so, the config that comes with 2.1.0-RELEASE is not compatible
>> >with that which comes with -current.  does that make sense?
>>
>>    It's not the only one. There are probably at least a dozen other system
>> binaries which are also incompatible.
>>

>	So, each time that current updates, I'm going to have to
>make world to keep it in sync?  Can I do a make world on a live
>system, if that is the case...or do I have to shutdown into single
>user mode?  someone had mentioned that they are going into single
>user mode each time *shrug*

   No, you only need to do the make world's occasionally. If you watch the
commit mail (which you should be doing if you are SUPing -current), then
you'll see what is being changed, why it is being changed, and when you need
to rebuild something.
   It's not necessary to shut down to single user. It is a good idea if you do
the 'make world' when the system is mostly idle, however, as unusual transient
things might happen to the users during some phases of the build.

-DG