Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:52:47 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        wilko@freebsd.org, Dave Haney <dave@engg.ksu.edu>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unexpected machine check

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 01:47:41PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Wilko Bulte writes:
>  >
>  > There is definitely a bogon somewhere as far as X on Alpha goes. The problem
>  > seems to be core logic chipset related, people fortunate enough to own
>  > Tsunami based systems do not seem to have these problems. Also the type of
>  > VGA chip seems to matter.
>
> I suspect the real problem is bugs in the X server & that's why some
> cards (Matrox, 3DLabs Permedia) work and others don't.  The Tsunami
> chipset itself just masks bugs.  Like a PC, writes to invalid I/O
> ports, etc are ignored & reads return -1.  Such accesses will cause
> machine checks on all other alphas.
>
> If somebody was to go through the effort of building one of these
> failing X servers with symbols, the PC mentioned in the machine check

I'll try doing that next week. Is there anything special to do when
building the port?

> would likely be the PC of the offending instruction.  Or close to it.

Would that be back-traceable to if it is the X server or the kernel?

> In fact, I wonder if we couldn't hack up a kernel to send a sigbus to
> the offending X server & get a core dump rather than panicing.

Sounds reasonable.. a panic is a bit drastic ;)

--
Wilko Bulte 			Arnhem, The Netherlands
http://www.tcja.nl  		The FreeBSD Project: http://www.freebsd.org