Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 23:52:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Musings on recent flamage

While I don't feel any of the recent is helpful, I was a bit bummed out
about things and sad about the state of BSD affairs.  While browsing
around I remember Paul Vixie kept a mini-log of the original 386BSD
email/postings, so for grins I read that.

Folks, we got it easy.  As much as you might disagree with the OpenBSD
folks, they are *complete* amateurs at over-reacting compared to Bill
and Lynne (mostly Lynne).  We're so far ahead of the game than we were
just a couple years ago that it really boggles my mind.

I remember trying to run 0.0 only to find out that I had no
co-processor, so I couldn't.  I was overjoyed when 0.1 came out and it
supported my SCSI controller.  We've come a long way baby!

And, llthough the development model we're using now isn't perfect (none
are), it works and has produced some *very* good releases, which rival
the releases commercial software companies put out.

Some of the problems we have are related to the 'birthing' process, so
are to be expected, but all that aside this whole FreeBSD thing has been
lots of fun (and work), but all in all very rewarding, as both a
developer and a user.

Kudos to all involved, and I can't wait to see what happens in the next
4 years!

Nate