Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:01:53 +0000
From:      "Paolo Di Francesco" <paipai@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc board, and clones

> I for one would have to agree with alfred on this one. There are a lot
> of old sun's sitting out there that ppl could be using. Ov course our
> decision should be within reason. I think it was a good choice to not
> support anything below a 386 on the intel side. We need to draw
> the line *somewhere* but IMHO just working on Ultras will kill this
> project. (Especially with the price of S5's lately)

I think we have to discuss this topic...

Statement #1 : If we have no UltraSparc box we cannot do the port!

So, I have no sparc hardware and I can try to buy an UltraSparc (if it does not
cost too much), but I think we can try to do ports on Ultra, and old Sparc.

For now, we can wait until we know how many Sparc and Ultra we have avaible.
In the meantime we can do experiments (on old Sparc too) on booting, and we can
try to separate the machine-indipendent-code from the machine-dipendent-code.
When we'll have these things done we can decide if we can port on Ultra, on
oldSparc, and so on...

P.S. We can ask Sun Microsystem if they can sell us MotherBoards at 50% of the
price...

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _