Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:42:18 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        justin@mac.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wake up on lan driver support

justin@mac.com wrote:

> I think it requires device driver support because it has to be enabled
> (at least, that's what the devices I know about require).

     No, it does not (at least, not for WOL -- you do need APM in order
to use "halt -p" to turn off the system, though).  It does not require
any special driver support on the machine to be woken up, or from the
machine that sends the special wake-on-lan packets.  I've been using WOL
since FreeBSD 4.2/4.3 (well, for a short while, at least, until I did an
impressively stupid boneheaded unmentionable that burned out my
motherboard's WOL support ;-().

     WOL only requires a few things of the machine to be woken up:

1. The motherboard must support WOL.

2. The LAN card must support WOL.

3. You must have connected the special WOL cable between the LAN card
   and the motherboard.

4. You must have enabled WOL on the motherboard.

That's it.

     Now, you only have to send the special WOL packets to the system to
be woken up (someone's already mentioned the software, in another
posting, which also does not require any special driver support).  I've
used both FreeBSD and Windows to send the packets.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com