Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2023 17:45:44 +0100
From:      Souji Thenria <mail@souji-thenria.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quirks

On 3/11/23 16:43, void wrote:
> What are 'quirks', how are they applied, why, where can I read up about
> them, are they documented?

Hey tia,

I have found this [http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/scsi/quirks.html]:

FreeBSD drivers make every attempt possible to support the standards
behind hardware. Where possible and not in conflict with the standard,
they also attempt to work around hardware which doesn't strictly
conform. However, some devices have flaws which can't be worked around
while keeping the driver compatible with the standard. For these
devices, we have created a quirks mechanism to indicate to the driver
that it must avoid certain commands or use them differently with a
specific model and/or version of hardware. This document focuses on
identifying and committing quirks for storage hardware involving CAM and
UMASS but is applicable to other areas.

Based on that, quirks are just identifiers for the driver, to compensate
for non-standard hardware implementations.

--
Souji Thenria