Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 13:10:56 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.net>
To:        david@banning.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to copy from windows to unix

see comments below...

At 02:46 PM 5/16/2001 +0000, David Banning wrote:
>I have samba installed, and I have my windows laptop working
>and printing with FreeBSD.
>
>I can copy from windows to unix from my windows machine,
>but for the life-of-me I can not seem to copy back and forth
>while stationed at the unix box.
>
>I have read man smbclient and attempted to see examples on the
>net.  The terminology throws me.
>
>the only name I know is my laptop name which is, "laptop"
>
>this is what "$ smbclient -L //laptop" gets me;
>
>smbclient -L //laptop
>added interface ip=192.168.1.1 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>Password:
>
>         Sharename      Type      Comment
>         ---------      ----      -------
>         IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication

hi David,
IPC$ is an administrative share on the windows box.
what you should probably do is create a new share so that you
can access it from your unix box.
after you've got a share available on the windows box, you
use smbclient to connect to it. once you connect, smbclient
works very much like ftp. you can 'put' or 'get' files on the
windows share.

good luck!
matt