Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 00:06:05 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, freeBSD-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disable write caching with softupdates?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 10:10:06AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > That's the price of having a recoverable file system. See Seltzer, Ganger,
> >
> > Not necessarily.
>
> Er, you're being both contrary and plain wrong.  It's a fundamental
> assumption of the softupdates implementation that it is possible to issue
> an ordered write and have it complete in an ordered fashion.

Now I'm very confused ;(

That's what Matthew Dillon wrote on -current in May:

:    Wait a sec... softupdates does not depend on write ordering.  Softupdates
:    issues all non-conflicting writes in parallel and doesn't care what order
:    they are written to the disk.  When those complete, softupdates will then
:    followup with all the writes that depend on the original set.

As far as I know Kirk McKusick had bad expiriences with disks not
honouring the ordered stuff.

What is the truth?

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de