Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:13:39 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kerberos or NIS/YP?

I'm looking to set up dialin modem access (so my friends have low-ping
access to my quake2 server :) but can't figure out which one is better for
shared passwords: Kerberos or NIS.
I've got two FreeBSD machines and a Livingston Portmaster 2e (got it free).
One FreeBSD machine ('inet', unimaginative, i know) has user accounts, mail
(smtp, imap, pop3), quake2, and almost everything else. The other
('fortress' and 'fortressa', i have aliases for DNS purposes) has only root
(well, plus my personal account) and DNS. I'm looking to make it my
'secure' server.
What I'd like to do is have inet be the shared password server, either
Kerberos or NIS, and the RADIUS server for the Portmaster.
Which would be better and/or simpler to implement? I'd like to for any
password-checking done now (mail, telnet/ftp, chpass) to continue to work
with a minimum of fuss.
I've found neither the manpages nor the handbook or FAQ have given enough
information for this decision. The manpage for NIS doesn't say, for
example, what happens to programs which use pwd.h's password-checking
functions. I don't have kerberos installed, so I can't check its manpages,
but I'd like to know how it works with programs which use pwd.h.

Thanks in advance,
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org