Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2013 21:03:51 -0500
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gjournal +UFS - anyone actually use it?

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>=
 wrote:

> if yes - how about performance on production server.

I have used gjournal on 7.x amd64 . Using in disk journals . This was on a h=
p dl380 g5 using 6 300gb  sas disks in a raid 1+0 .=20

I was using it to store large MySQL myisam tables , speed was acceptable at t=
he time .  I never had any fs corruption and it worked as expected .=20

At the time I set it up I remember there was some chatter about how slow gjo=
urnal was compared to ufs with softupdate .=20

Fast forward to today I almost always use ufs with softupdate journal , new i=
n FreeBSD 9.0 and available as a patch to 6.x, 7.x , and 8.x=20

This is better supported now , as more people use it in new 9.x builds  .

> i think about journal on SSD.

I believe this is only and option in geom journal , I am not sure if you can=
 relocate a suj journal to an alternate disk . It should be faster . All I c=
an say here is give it a try and see what happens .=20

Hope that helps=20