Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:46:28 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oops, now: bsd question: how to record a tv stream?

On 03/12/12 07:19, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:28:19 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>> here us a FBSD qauestion.... how can i capture any tv stream---or
>> radio stream for later replay?
> I've been using a BrookTree ("Haupauge WinTV") PCI card for
> capturing from TV which worked very good using the standard
> programs mplayer and mencoder.
>
> For capturing TV programs, there may be some service like
> the Online TV Recoder which I occassionally use. Maybe this
> works also for radio programs?
>
> Additionally, there may be an option to download some kind
> of media streams. There are tools for that available.
There is cx88 in the ports which will cover a lot of pci devices, and
webcamd covers just about all the rest. Then use mplayer or another tool
to record the stream.

And if you're real tricky you can set it to record at a specific time
and shut off at another specified time... :) I wrote a script for this;
a bit hackish, but it gets the job done. I have to clean it up someday
when I have the spare time.