Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:34:07 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        nelson@seahunt.imat.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Discouraged...

>I'll try building that source tree, but if it doesn't work better than
>the 2.0-950112-SNAP release I'm currently using, I think I'm going to
>have to go back to Linux.  I don't want to, but I need for the machine to
>be able to do the things I need it to do, and 2.0-950112-SNAP seems to be
>falling on its face rather regularly for me.

   Just a quick note - the 950112 snapshot was probably the worst 'release' of
code that we've ever done. The snapshots were never meant to be 'production'
or even necessarily work very well...and the Jan 12 snapshot is a good example
of this. The Jan 28 snapshot should be much better behaved, but it is still
just a snapshot. I can add that I'm personally working on fixing 6 major
kernel bugs that will probably bite everyone at some point if they aren't
fixed. It's our goal that 2.1 will be very stable and functional, but 2.1 isn't
due out for another 2 months. Considering that we basically 'started over'
with 4.4-lite/FreeBSD 2.0, and have only about 4 months of real effort into it,
I think we've done an amazing job.
   If you do finally get the Jan 28 snapshot installed, I might be willing to
help troubleshoot some of the problems you're having. Send me a note if you're
interested.

-DG