Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave McCammon <davemac11@yahoo.com>
To:        "Bob M." <bmiddaugNOSPAM@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the proper shutdown procedure?

--- "Bob M." <bmiddaugNOSPAM@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> Thanks guys, I was using shutdown now to shutdown,
> but I was wondering if
> that was correct since I get this error message "/
> was not dismounted
> properly" at the end of the boot process.  I don't
> have the dmesg output
> with me now.  I didn't know about halt and man
> shutdown doesn't refer to
> flushing cache, unmounting disks or stopping
> services. Is there a list of
> commands inherent to FreeBSD anywhere?  Thanks
> again,
> Bob

from the man page of 'halt'

 The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system
cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM
(and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt
or restart the system.  The action is logged,
including entering a shutdown record into the wtmp(5)
file.

Also take a look at /etc/rc.shutdown(which i may be
wrong but I think shutdown -h calls that through init
or it may call halt which signals init)