Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:50:28 -0400
From:      Mik Firestone <mik@racerx.homedns.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com PCCard not initializing.

I have tried asking this on -current and received no reply.  I am hoping
somebody here can help me.  I also have a little bit more data.

I am running -CURRENT ( sup'd about 16 hours ago ) on a Dell Latitude
C600.  I have no internal NIC and so use a 3Com 575B PCCard for network.
The problem is that the laptop is no longer able to initialize the card.

If I have acpi enabled, I get a series of messages saying cbb: Unable to
map IRQ...  I also see it trying to probe cardbus[2-7] and pccard[2-7]
with the same results.

If I disable acpi at the boot loader prompt as suggested by the help
message, I no longer see the above error messages ( cbb0 comes up on IRQ
11 ) and the probes of the extra cardbus and pccard devices do not
occur.  I do see this:
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: <3Com 3c575B Fast Etherlink XL> port 0x1000-0x107f mem 0x88003000-0x8800307f,0x88003080-0x880030ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: reset didn't complete
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: command never completed!
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: command never completed!
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: eeprom failed to come ready
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: xl0: failed to read station address
Sep  4 23:03:00 squirrel kernel: device_probe_and_attach: xl0 attach returned 6

I am relatively certain this is not a problem with the cardbus drivers
-- my Netgear MA401 is working just fine, as long as I turn ACPI off.

Can anybody offer me any advice on where to turn next?  I am more than
willing to attempt to debug this myself, but I have no clue what to try.
I have attempted backleveling the xl drivers to early August, but that
results in a kernel panic.

I have plenty of output ( boot -v output, kernel configs, etc ) if
anybody is interested but do not want to send yet another 500+ line
email.

I appreciate any possible assistance.

Mik