Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 02:44:31 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl to disable reboot

> > That's a good point.  A more sophisticated sysctl again would be one that
> > would prevent the loading of a new keymap which enabled rebooting where
> > the previous one did not.
>
> > cons.keymap.protected perhaps?
>
> I could impliment a cons.keymap.securelevel which did:
>
> 	0: Anyone can change the keymap.
> 	1: Only root can change keys with effects like reboot, panic, ...
> 	2: Only root can make any change to the keymap.
>
> Or would that be overkill? (The name is certainly a bit silly ;-)

I would have guessed that suser()ing keymap changes would be most
appropriate.  After all, a keymap change survives a logout and should
really only be changed with care.

Having said that, a malicious user with access to the keyboard can
install some quite hideous root traps (a program that says login: etc
etc).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>