Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:09:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Evangelism: call for sound bites

[NOTE: please do NOT reply to the list unless you have something
compelling that the whole list needs to hear.]

We have one good sloagan, FreeBSD: The Power to Serve.

There is certainly room for >>tactful<< evangelism on the FreeBSD
website.  I can make the server serve it, but I'm not going to
write it.  So, keeping in mind the very short attention span of
your typical web surfer, send me:

1. URLs of any news items you find regarding FreeBSD.

3. Contact information for good showcase systems, such as
   wcarchive and Yahoo.  Ultimately, I would like to replace
   the current FreeBSD gallery with a smaller number of in-depth
   illustrations of real-world FreeBSD applications.

3. One or two sentence reasons why someone would use FreeBSD.

4. One or two sentence descriptions of what distinguishes FreeBSD
   from X, where X could be Win95, NT, BSDI, (Net|Open)BSD,
   Linux, Solaris, UnixWare, Netware, etc.

5. One or two sentence testimonials of why YOU use FreeBSD rather
   than product X.

For questions 3 and 4, the reasons must be tangible to the target
audience and that target audience is NOT YOU!  So, be extremely
careful about the assumptions you make.  In particular, you might
frame the reasons as "Why FreeBSD instead of X" and pay careful
attention to why the person may be using X now.  Alternatively,
frame the reasons for a technoloogy journalist.

Also remember that technical excellence is only one small factor
in how people choose a platform.  If, in one sentence, you can
make a convincing argument that FreeBSD has a lower TCO than
product X, that would be fantastic.

Elevate FreeBSD without lowering competitors.

I will compile these sound bites and post them back to this
mailing list (chat) for review.  Sound bites over two sentences
will be disqualified, as will sound bites with paragraph length
sentences.

-john