Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2018 20:36:18 +0200
From:      Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP-0101: Deprecating most 10/100 Ethernet drivers

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 03:50:00PM +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:

> > > FCP-01010 (https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0101.md)
> > > outlines a plan to deprecate most 10/100 Ethernet drivers in FreeBSD 12
> > > and remove them in FreeBSD 13 to reduce the burden of maintaining and
> > > improving the network stack.  We have discussed this within the
> > > core team and intend to move forward as proposed.  We are solictiting
> > > feedback on the list of drivers to be excepted from removal.
> > >
> > > The current list of drivers slated for REMOVAL is:
> > >
> > > ae, bfe, bm, cs, dme, ed, ep, ex, fe, pcn, rl, sf, smc, sn,
> > > ste, tl, tx, txp, vx, wb, xe
> >
> > The list above does not mention de(4). It is however on the FCP github page,
> > in the list of drivers planned for removal. Which list is correct?
>
> The FCP page is the source of truth in all cases.  It was missed in the
> initial survey and added later.

You can add one more user of xl. I found a machine in my network with such a
card:

xl0: <3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0x1100-0x117f mem 0xf0600000-0xf060007f irq 20 at device 0.0 on pci16

Still using 10.3, but it will get updated eventually like everything else.

Are you working on updating the numbers for pcn, de and ed? I believe the
numbers on the FCP page are wrong.

--
Joel