Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:31:26 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        "'Aram Compeau'" <aram@tibco.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boot sequence on mixed IDE/SCSI systems (was: RE: forcing which SCSI device to boot from)

	Actually, it's not as crazy as it might seem for a machine to consider a
"foreign" (i.e. non-native) IDE controller as a SCSI controller.  In both
Windows NT and 98, my Promise Ultra 33 and 66 are considered SCSI
controllers due to the way that they operate.  There's a better explanation
of that on Promise's site.

	As to the boot sequence, it all depends on how you work with it.  I've had
a machine with 2 SCSI controllers, a PCI IDE controller and 2 onboard IDE
controllers (just for experimentation).  I could make the first SCSI
controller on the PCI bus boot or the onboard IDE boot, but not the other
SCSI controller or the PCI IDE controller.

	Switching the cards around in the PCI slots seems to give boot precedence
to the card closest to/in slot 1.

	YMMV...

--- Andy