Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 06:16:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: majordomo

Tony Kimball recently said:
> Quoth Bill Vermillion on Thu, 10 December:

> : >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> : > 550 :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/camft-main-digest... Cannot open
> : > /usr/local/majordomo/lists/camft-main-digest: Group writable directory
> :                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> :
> : There's your clue.  The latest sendmail doesn't like this.  After
> : all you don't want other changing your mailing list do you?

> Well, yes.  That's what group permissions are *for*, to allow
> the members of a given group to administer those parts of the system
> for which they are responsible.  Sendmail and ppp are painfully,
> woefully ignorant of the meaning and value of group bits.

Well this was touted as a feature in the latest sendmail.  Just
part of making everything more secure.  As another poster replied
there is a flag to change this.  I tend not to work in a group
adminstered arena so I had not considered this change to sendmail
to be a problem.  Opinions are shaped by your environment, so
thanks for pointing this out.

Does this list know that sendmail has gone commercial?
The freegoods are at www.sendmail.org, and the commericial
information is at www.sendmail.com

Support contracts, graphical interfaces, etc.

It is currenlty available ONLY on FreeBSD, Linux RedHat, and
Solaris on the Unix side.  There is also an NT version.