Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:55:12 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Laurent Joncheray <lpj@cisco.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Olympus Brio D-100 digital camera & USB mass storage device

Laurent Joncheray <lpj@cisco.com> types:
>         Hi, this is not really a question but more a report on how i got
> an Olympus Brio D-100 digital camera to work with freeBSD 4.2. Search
> engines can catch my mail and help any future user of that camera.
> The camera is supposed to act as a mass storage device on a USB bus.
> It can be mounted on a file system, and images can be copyed, erased, etc...
> using usual file commands. There are some caveas to get the device to work
> though, because the camera does not seem to follow the USB mass storage
> specification:
> - The CSW signature is not 0x53425355 but 0x55425355 (go figure)
> - The camera does not support 6 bytes SCSI commands. DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE has to
> be set for the device in cam/scsi/scsi_da.c.
> Once that's done, i can mount the camera with 'mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt'
> and transfer pictures easily.
> The only problem i have is that, once removed, a probe of the devices will
> crash the kernel. For instance if i run /stand/sysinstall, the kernel
> crashes when the cammand probes the devices. I do not know why and did
> not spend any time looking for a fix.
>         I hope that'll help anyone who wants to use the D-100 with FreeBSD.
> I have some diffs for the kernel driver source, but what i've done is really
> ugly because i am not very familiar with the drivers, but that could be used
> by someone who knows the drivers and is willing to modify them.
>                 -- lpj

Try submitting this description, along with diffs for what you did, as
a PR, then sending a pointer to the PR to the maintainer of the USB
device drivers - n_hibma@freebsd.org. He should also be able to tell
you if the crash from probing a device that's been found and removed
is normal, or suggest a fix.

Be aware that he's not the quickest or most reliable correspondent, so
your only response may be a commit that fixes these things.

	<mike