Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 18:15:34 +1030 (CST)
From:      Simon Phillips <srp@smtp.tne.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question re: NIS authentication

I have a puzzling problem here with NIS+FreeBSD.

The situation is as follows:

We have a redhat 6.0 server which currently has a NIS server on it.
Two other redhat linux servers (one 5.2, one 6) connect to it no probs,
and can do so using broadcast or direct requests to find the YP server.

I'm trying to hook in a new FreeBSD 3.3 box to auth using it. I've set it up,
and everything looks as if it should work (ypcat passwd on the BSD box
gives me the passwd file, ypwhich tells me the right name of the authing
server, +::::::::: is added to the end of the passwd file on the BSD
box, finger -m <username> on the BSD box gives me a user's finger info,
portmap is running, ypbind is running) - but it won't authenticate users
(just gives a login failure).  I can even su to any user on the BSD system,
or login if I disable authentication.  Everything (it seems) works except
the actual authentication itself.

Maybe the authentication is incompatible?  If so, does anyone know how I can
make it compatible?

Any hints people could give me would be great...

Thanks

regards,

Simon Phillips
The Net Enterprises