Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:25:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>
Cc:        Vincent Defert <vdefert@trace.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

I'm referring to the operating system and "single source". Packages
are another issue. I'm a strictly amature user and do not have the
time or inclination to worry about which library or kernel I'm
running.

For me, the ports collection is a workable and relatively painless
way of obtaining the software I need. I'm also fairly conservative
about updating or configuring - lots of preliminary work, lots.

After some confusion about where to put things when I first started,
I have _never_ had any trouble setting up my systems (486-133, 386SX,
and a 75MHz Pentium - all with different graphics cards, configuration,
etc. They are networked, run Apache, NFS, and X.

FreeBSD is flexible, and for me and _my own sensibilities_ what I like.

Your points are well taken and should be considered valuable in their
own right as based on your sensibilities and opinions. You are right to
imply that it is what you need as I imply that it is what makes sense
for each person to decide for themselves. Try both OSs and use which
one you like. Or use both.

I have read enough mail on both sides to know that flaming goes on in
both directions. Foolishness. What gets lost is the fact that most of
us in the FreeBSD (or just *BSD) and Linux camps seek an alternative
to Micro$oft's view of the world. Squabbling over which is "best"
(a dubious judgment) gets nowhere and could not be more useful to
Mr. Bill.

I go on record as a FreeBSD user and supporter. I also support your
choice to use both. Choice is what we, all of us, must be about.

[off soapbox]

John