Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:36:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-CVSROOT@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine/up.h

> I propose that we create an alternate file to smp.h named up.h.
>
> code could then look like:
>
> #ifdef SMP
> #include <machine/smp.h>
> #else
> #include <machine/up.h>
> #endif
>
> I could then move stuff like:
>
> #ifndef SMP
> #define THIS_LOCK	/* nop this out for UP */
> #define THAT_FEATURE	/* nop this out for UP */
> #endif
>
> from individual files and gather them all up into up.h  This should cause less
> disturbance to the source tree than the current methods.
>
> Any objections?

Or you could include smp.h always, and do this in smp.h:

#ifdef SMP
#define	THIS_LOCK	smp_thislock	/* or whatever*/
#else	/* !SMP*/
#define	THIS_LOCK	/* NOP this out for non-SMP*
#endif

And have even less impact.

Or you could make the standard headers do the work for you, and not include
smp.h at all.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---