Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 03:35:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

> It's not like it has ever been documented to a level where too many
> people would claim to know how it's supposed to work though... :-(
I really need this now..

> I disagree.
>
> 	drv.ncr0.id4.lun0.sync=1
> 	drv.ncr0.id4.lun0.wide=1
> 	drv.ncr0.id5.lun0.rogue=129
>
> or maybe just (I think I prefer this one):
>
> 	drv.ncr.0.4.0.sync=1
> 	drv.ncr.0.4.0.wide=1
> 	drv.ncr.0.5.0.rogue=129
>
> I'm open to suggestions.
I'm 80% through a few big changes to how devices are done..
the JREMOD changes are now unconditional in my system here,
so every driver is called by the SYSINIT code at startup, well before
it get's asked to probe. At that time. it hooks itself into the
devsw tables etc. and for devices for which there is no more
probing to be done, (e.g. /dev/mem) it also
puts itself into the devfs at this time..
This brings up the point..
Should we have a single time drivers are called for initialisation, etc.?
I can see the driver being called once on loading or booting
to add devsw entried
once to probe
once to put sysctl stuff in
etc..
I wouldn't mind making sure we co-ordinate on this..
particularly, devfs and devconf look like they might be duplicating
some structure..

> > Well, if there is a user interface to query system configuration
> > variables (i.e. sysctl), why not use it.
> exactly.
I was thinking of having an 'info' page for each device in devfs
# cat /dev/fd0.info
Floppy Disk
IRQ=6
DMA=4
capacity=1.44MB
driver version 1.45
#
sounds like sysctl is trying to do the same thing..
:)
I don't quite understand how devconf and sysctl go together..
do they?

julian