Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 04:32:57 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, ks@itp.ac.ru
Subject:   Re: IBM 16 GB IDE HDD

>> > This is seriously incomplete and out of date.  LBA addressing should almost
>> > never be used, since no cases are known where it is necessary, and cases
>> > are known where it causes trashed disks (dumping to any drive where the
>> > default geometry is not the same as the fake LBA geometry).
>>
>> What am I missing here?  I thought LBA meant "logical block
>> addressing".  Where does "geometry" (by which I understand bogus
>> mapping to cylinder/head/sector values) come into it?
>
>It has to do with the fact that for legacy interoperability reasons the
>LBA and CHS numbers in the MBR have to match up, and the 'wd' driver
>still uses the CHS interface to the disk registers (lowest common
>denominator).

No, it has to do with bugs in the driver.  Due to lack of personhours,
parts of the driver still use CHS while other parts of the driver use LBA.

>The drive itself changes the mapping between the CHS register values
>and the LBA address based on what it thinks it's geometry is.  Unless
>you know what it thinks it is, you can't second-guess it to get your
>data where you think it's going.

No, the driver decides the mapping.  It can choose almost any mapping
(except for pre-IDE drives which don't support setting the mapping and
yet-to-be-made drives which don't support any mapping).  It chooses the
drive's default one for simplicity.

Bruce