Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:26:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies web page [was: -newbies]

> (First, I'd like to request that freebsd-chat be removed from the
> headers of replies. This is a freebsd-newbies discussion, and newbies
> might not realise that posting to several lists at once is generally
> discouraged. FreeBSD-chat is mostly for non-FreeBSD chat that spills
> over from the technical lists where it becomes off topic there.)

	I'd prefer not too. I believe this discussion is not limited to
just -newbies. It affects everyone involved with the FreeBSD
project. As it stands now, we effectivley have two technical lists. That
needs to be fixed.

> > 	Yes, we also should try to get the -newbies Web Page updated...
> > http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.
>
> All you need to do is send me ideas for change, and it'll be done.
> I've mentioned this to newbies over and over. Nobody has ever done so!!

	Sue... when was the last time you actually did? Like I said, I've
not seen a post from you in quite some time. I'd be willing to guess that
there are many new people here since you last posted that. Please don't
think I'm slamming you, but I do not believe you can make a statement as
above.

> We do need to have a central starting point for newbies on the FreeBSD
> web site. While I've received many notes of appreciation, the support
> for this, in terms of contributions suggestions or ideas, has been
> consistently underwhelming.

	Because, newbies are still trying to figure out what they
need. It's a Chicken and Egg problem. By the time you know what you need,
you've found it and don't need the newbie page anymore. :)

> You guys have to learn that you are not consumers. You get what you
> want by collaborating on it and then getting up and _doing_ it, or
> at least helping out those who are already doing stuff.
> This is the real world. You don't have no Mummy round no more.
> Live with it. Learn to thrive on it.

	Um... that's why I personally am trying to fix the problems with
-newbies. That's why I've created my webpage with good links for
newbies.

					Rick