Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2006 09:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      walker_643 <walker_643@yahoo.com>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   aic7xxx and flash drive boot

Hi all - I've been using the aic7xxx driver for many years with the same hardware and absolutely
no problems. I recently had the need to create a mini-linux system on a usb flash drive. Inside
the kernel, I of course added the aic7xxx driver. When I boot from the drive as the SCSI probing
happens, I get the following output:

scsi0:0:0:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
CDB: 0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0 0xff 0x0
scsi0:0:0:0: Command already completed
aic7xxx_abort returns 0x2002
scsi0:0:0:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
CDB: 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
scsi0:0:0:0: Command already completed
aic7xxx_abort returns 0x2002
scsi0:0:0:0: Attempting to queue a TARGET RESET message
CDB: 0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0 0xff 0x0
scsi0:0:0:0: Is not an active device

This happens for all scsi channels (15 or so) in sequence. Needless to say, it does not find my
internal scsi drive. I rebuilt the kernel leaving the aic7xxx driver as a module and disabled
auto-loading, but got the same result. Here are my system specs:

Athlon XP 3000+
1 GB RAM
MSI-6570E Mobo (K7N2 Delta2)
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Host Adapter (IDE)
IBM DDYS-T36950N 36GB SCSI Internal Drive

I have read that Justin had diagnosed a similar problem as IRQ-related, but unfortunately if the
problem was resolved, it was not posted in the thread. I noticed on boot up that my scsi
controller was sharing irq 11 with my uhci controller. There isn't much I can do to change that in
BIOS or in the boot-time setup menu for the scsi card. The only option I saw allowed me to reserve
irq 11 in BIOS, but that just put the scsi card on irq 9 with the ehci controller and gave the
same output when booted from the flash drive. For the record, the driver still works perfectly in
the internal scsi drive boot up.

I deal with too many scsi-dependent systems to omit scsi support from the kernel. Here's hoping
this is fixable on my system. Thanks in advance to everyone :)

Ian Walker
walker_643@yahoo.com