Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:00:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dpd@ngfl.gov.uk
Subject:   Re: IBM NetFinity hanging during install probe

[removing -STABLE; this has nothing to do with that list]

On Thursday, 30 August 2001 at  0:09:14 +0100, David Dooley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set up a IBM NetFinity box with FreeBSD 4.3. I
> downloaded the two boot floppies from the web site and dd them onto a
> couple of floppies. The Floppies work fine and I can boot the system.
> I get to the point in the load that asks about doing a visual or
> command line edit edit of the config or just continuing. NO matter
> what I select at this point the system hangs just after probing the
> sio0 and displaying the chip type. I have gone into the bios and
> removed both serial ports and the parallel port for good measure, yet
> the system is still able to probe the sio0 port and still hangs. I
> have also as part of the visual edit removed all the serial and
> parallel ports for the list of devices to probe and it still probes
> sio0 and still hangs. I ahve also removed all the conflicting entries
> and the system still hangs right after probing.... you guessed it,
> sio0.

Could you please select a verbose boot:  hit the space bar when you
see the message

  Press [Enter] to boot immediately...

Then enter to the 'ok' prompt:

  ok boot -v

Then send in the last two or three messages before it hangs.  In all
probability it's not sio0, but the next probe in line.  Possibly you
can get past it if you disable that particular device, which will stop
the probe.  I get:

  sio0: irq maps: 0x3 0x13 0x3 0x3
  sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x90 on isa0
  sio0: type 16550A
  sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  sio1: irq maps: 0x3 0x3 0x3 0x3
  sio1: probe failed test(s): 0 1 2 4 6 7 9
  sio1 failed to probe at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
  sio2: not probed (disabled)
  sio3: not probed (disabled)
  ppc0: parallel port found at 0x378
  ppc0: using extended I/O port range

It would be interesting to see if yours stops somewhere in this
sequence.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.