Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:57:50 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de!jhs@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: newfs: sectors per cylinder (4096) disagrees with disk label (36)

>Newfs now ignores the disklabel and uses defaults of 1 track/cyl and 4096
>sectors/track.  You can override by giving explicit arguments.
>However, the way the changes have been made strikes me as somewhat kludgy.
>Would it be possible for newfs to do the following:

>	(1)  Check /etc/disktab for info on the partition.  Use these
>		parameters if available.
>		(Put the 4096/1 stuff in here.)

>	(2)  If /etc/disktab has no info, look at the disklabel.
>		Pay attention to these parameters if available.

It already looks at /etc/disktab (if a disktab entry is specified) and at
the label.  I wouldn't want it replacing values in the label with values
in the disktab entry for the disk type givel in the label when a disktab
entry is not specified.

The point is that the values given in disktab entries and labels are
often BAD.  They are supposed to be blown away.  Poul actually only
intended the values in disklabels to be ignored, but the same problem
occurs for disktab entries.  However, there are some disktab and label
entries that give the physical geometry (floppies and old drives).
Newfs should use these geometries unless the old ufs support for fixed
geometries doesn't actually work (I don't think it can unless all the
seek times are known).

I think the correct solution is to put the geometry that you want newfs
to use in the label.  The geometry in the label isn't used for many
things other than newfs.  It is used for booting and by fdisk.  Disk
slicing will provide separate labels for the whole disk and the BSD
slice (even when the BSD slice is the whole disk) so it will be possible
to have separate geometries for booting/fdisk and newfs.

Bruce