Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:19:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jesus.monroy@usa.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: My FreeBSD Experience ]

> > It is possible to take his ability to make pilot errors away from
> > him, and avoid this type of complaint altogether.  It's called
> > "usability engineering".
>
> No, that's called "Windows."

You've obviously never installed a third party driver under Windows.

Usability engineering means that after you are done doing it, the
resulting code is usable.  I don't call a driver that depends on
a specific version of a system component that's "upgraded" every
time something demands you install the latest version of Internet
Explorer particularly usable.

There is a difference between taking away options, and taking away
useless options.

For example, it should be impossible to install x86 FreeBSD without
writing a DOS partition table and a DOS-capable MBR, and it should
be impossible to install Alpha FreeBSD without a similar DEC-UNIX
compatible record.  That the tools permit something like that
occuring at all is a commentary on the foibles of the tools.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.