Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
To:        Jack Wenger <info@bentreality.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Q-MAIL

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Jack Wenger wrote:

> I'm considering moving to Q-Mail.
> Is anyone using Q-Mail instead of Sendmail?
> If so, how come?
> Are there any major advantages?
> What popper are you using?

We've been running qmail for many months now with zero problems.  I got
sick and tired of watching for the latest and greatest security notice on
sendmail.

Qmail is a very different beast so be prepared to unlearn most everything
you know about sendmail.   Read all of the FAQ!

Qmail was designed from the ground up to be secure, NOT to be a sendmail
look-a-like. It took some time unlearning sendmail, but it didn't take
long to love it.  We're running many virtual domains with great
flexibility and ease.

By default it delivers to the users home dir in mbox format so a slightly
modified qpopper will do for the popper.  The mods are in the FAQ that
comes with the source.

BTW, there have been at least half a dozen security problems found with
sendmail since I've started using qmail.  Needless to say, I rest much
easier at night. :-)

---
Ron