Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:46:20 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible error in hubs article

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 08:00:26PM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2003.02.02 13:16:20 -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> > > 2.3 Mirroring the WWW pages
> > > The best way is, to check out the www distribution from CVS. If you
> > > have a local mirror of the CVS repository, it is probably as easy as:
> > >  % cvs -d /home/ncvs co www"
> > >
> > > Is this right?
> > Yes, this is correct.  www is the main website directory, and below
> > that we have translation directories, ie: en for English.
> So shouldn't the hub article say that building is also required?
>
> The way I read it "cvs -d /home/ncvs co www" can be used to get a mirror
> of the FreeBSD webpages without doing anything else.

That's my impression as well.  And I know (from painfull experience)
that just checking out www is not enough to have or even build the
web pages.  Basically, you need copies of the src, www, and doc
repos (not the checked out versions, the repositories themselves),
a copy of the webupdate script adapted to your environment, some
CPU and wall clock time, and about 550 Megs of disk space.

Am there, doing that, and the scars are about to form :)

/s/Udo
--
Enjoy the beauty and power of root