Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:55:36 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: MATE 'base' desktop is ready for anyone to test it.

On 7/27/12 3:44 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jeremy Messenger
> <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The MATE base desktop (x11/mate-base) is ready to use and test. The
>> MATE base is a very lite and lean desktop.
> <snip>
>
> A bit of FAQ:
>
> Q: There is problem with pkg-plist.
> A: Yes, I know about that. The reason why I leave complete @dirrm in
> the pkg-plist, so that way I can comparing what's the most common
> @dirrm for I can create matehier (like gnomehier).
>
> Q: When will MATE ports merge into FreeBSD ports tree.
> A: Even thought if I finished everything with MATE. It won't be merged
> into FreeBSD ports tree unless I get more people to help me with the
> MATE project. Right now, I am only a person that work on MATE. I
> prefer to be least three people.
>
> Q: If there is problem, where do I report to? Send a PR?
> A: Please no PR. I hate GNATS, but we should use it when MATE merges
> into FreeBSD ports tree though. For now, just send me an email or
> gnome@FreeBSD.org.
>
> Q: Does MATE conflicts with GNOME 2/3?
> A: No, it's complete parallel even in the ~/.* too.
>
> Q: Why you won't check on GDM?
> A: Because it's a GNOME applications and I do not want to install any
> extra dependency. :-) But if MATE folks fork the GDM and yes I will
> work on it.
>
> Q: Is it easy to use MATE with GDM?
> A: I think it should be easy as MATE does provide session files. I
> think GDM will pick up that session and add in the list for which
> desktop you want to log in.
>
> Q: Does the http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html works for MATE?
> A: Yes, most of them. Same goes for HAL:
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

Here's another Q&A for you.

Is MATE compatible with GNOME 2 such that I can link my GNOME 2 apps to
MATE libraries?  Will MATE include links for GNOME 2 libraries?  If not,
could it?

Okay, those were three questions.  I think you see where I'm going.  If
we wanted to yank GNOME 2 out in favor of MATE, how difficult would it
be?  I'm not saying we would or that we're ready.  I'm just testing the
waters.

Joe