Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:05:13 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje+geom@elde.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror problems

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:55:06PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> Ok, everything is clear now. You disconnected ad1, but ad0 was marked
> for synchronization. It that case gmirror cannot find any valid component,
> because the only one it can find is stale.
> So:
> 1. You should test it when mirror is in complete state (then you can remove
>    any component).
> 2. You can remove ad0 and put ad1 to make your test.

Hi,

This makes a interesting question pop up in my head.

If his ad1 had been reformatted, burned or lost, if there any way he could try
to partially recover from this?

gmirror can't find a valid component, so it never makes the volume available.

If I understand gmirror correctly, it keeps it's metadata at the end of the
partition, so he could mount the mirror directly as a normal filesystem, then
try to recover the files onto a fresh mirror?

Also, do I understand it correctly that he could (in theory anyway):

1. gmirror remove - to clear meta-data on ad0
2. insert a new ad1
3. gmirror label myvol ad0 ad1 - to create a new volume, have it syncronize to ad1
4. access the data as it was when the syncronization of ad0 stopped?

Trying to make sure I understand things right,
Terje