Date:      Mon, 7 May 2012 17:35:03 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add GEOM_RAID to GENERIC?

The only argument that stopped me is that GEOM_RAID is more active in
probing for metadata then ataraid. Now it tastes all 6 formats on every
provider in system. ataraid tasted only first level and subset of formats
depending on controller vendor. While it is possible to do the same, I am
not sure it should be done.

But may be that all is not really a problem. Most users won't notice few
extra requests unless something happen like disk failure, that can make
boot to take much longer.

07.05.2012 16:24 =D0=CF=CC=D8=DA=CF=D7=C1=D4=C5=CC=D8 "John Baldwin" <jhb@f=
reebsd.org> =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC:

> I installed 9.0 on a new desktop that used Intel's on-board RAID
yesterday and
> it worked great.  One nit though is I had to remember to kldload geom_rai=
> manually from the shell before starting the install, and to load it from
the
> loader on the first boot after install.  The old ataraid(4) was present i=
> GENERIC, so I think it would be fine for GEOM_RAID to be present in
GENERIC