Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:41:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        John <lists@reiteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swapfile being eaten by unknown process

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:30:42AM +0000, John wrote:
> Hello list
>=20
> Is there a way of seeing *what* program/process is eating swap. There are
> loads of ways of seeing that it is being eaten, but so far haven't found =
a way
> of knowing what eats, so can't fix the problem. Can anyone enlighten me?

Use ps or top, and look for the process with the huge size.  This is
not foolproof, because a process can allocate memory without using it
(e.g. rpc.statd), but it's a place to start.  If you see a process
that is both large, and paging to/from disk, that's a better
indication.

Kris

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--