Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2014 14:20:46 +0100
From:      Matthias Meyser <meyser@xenet.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cross installing freebsd?

Hi

Am 07.12.2014 um 18:36 schrieb Alfred Perlstein:

> On Dec 7, 2014, at 7:28 AM, Matthias Meyser wrote:
[...]
>> It would be much nicer if the normal install* would handle this automatically.
>> Someone should teach the Makesystem to build the installboottrapbinaries
>> not only for the HOST system but also for the Targetsystem.
>>
>> Then normal install would just work.
>
> I wish I had time to do that, but I really do not have time to sort how to determine that reliably, also people have been pretty upset if anything in the build changes lately and anything breaks.  So I am very afraid to touch any defaults.
>
> Due to time and the pressure to not break anything I can do one of two things:
> 1) clean up the two targets I've submitted and put them in a Makefile.cross-install, then document them in the main Makefile.
> 2) Keep this code in my own repo.
>
> Sorry.  Let me know if there is a way forward with 1 for the time being?

1 ist better than nothing. ;) Go and submit.

But someone with more buildsystemfoo than me and more time than both of us
should fix this "the right way" in the future.

Because 1) may cause trouble when incompatible changes to the programs
used during install are introduced between the installed OS Version
and the to be installed OS Version.

This is why a separate set of binaries used to install is created during
building an used during install.

The show stopper is that those binaries are build for the HOST arch not
the TARGET arch. (This is fine if you want to run install on the HOST for
e.g. to an image)

Hmmm. Now even the new target name "cross-install" seems wrong. ;)
Its really a "native-install" (on i386 install a i386 system)

I hope this grieve get fixed some day.

- Matthias

--
Matthias Meyser            | XeNET GmbH
Tel.:  +49-5323-9489050    | 38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Marktstrasse 40